Thursday, September 1, 2011

Matt's Testimony

I grew up in a Christian home in the grand metropolis of San Angelo, Texas. We were at church often, and I quickly learned the rhetoric of church. At about the age of six or seven, I saw a friend get baptized and realized that it pleased both his family and the people in the church. I chose to follow in his footsteps to please those around me. Having been in church for six years, I knew enough correct answers to convince the church to baptize me, but I was not truly interested in valuing, trusting or serving Christ. I just wanted to please those around me. I played the church game for a number of years and stayed out of trouble. But there was a consistent gnawing in me that knew things weren't right. I had no real relationship with Christ, and I knew it.

One day I heard a sermon on Matthew 7:21-23, "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord... And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.'" And I knew the passage was talking about me. I was the one who had done many things in Jesus' name and yet did not know Him. That day, the Lord began changing my heart and what I valued. My concern was no longer what people thought about my relationship with Christ, but I instead was concerned with what Christ thought about my relationship with Him. My life has become less and less about pleasing men and more and more about pleasing the King. Along that pursuit, I ended up in DFW despite the fact I swore I would never move here. And now I love the place where God has placed me. It is here where God has provided me with some of the best friends of my life, a church I love, and my wonderful wife Kristen. All of this helps me see that He knows me better than I do, and gives me what is best...even when it looks like He's cheating me.

Matt Tonne

No comments:

Post a Comment